The Neighbor Leadership Academy is a program designed for neighbors to learn more about the City and develop their leadership skills during five consecutive weeks. The first Academy will begin Wednesday, March 8, 2017 and will run through Wednesday, April 5th. Each cohort will include up to 20 neighbors who are either new to civic engagement or have been actively volunteering in their neighborhood or with the City. At the end of the program participants will receive a Certificate of Completion and be officially recognized before the Fort Lauderdale City Commission. To take learning into action participants will complete a community service project at the end of the program.
To be considered for the Neighbor Leadership Academy you must be:
1. Be at least of 18 years of age
2. Be willing to commit to five consecutive Wednesdays from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
The next Neighbor Leadership Academy will be scheduled for Fall 2017
Workshops will take place on Wednesdays from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at George English Park. Topics include:
- City Structure and Leadership Assessment
- Ethics, Parliamentary Procedures and Team Building
- Navigating the City's Budget and Effective Decision Making
- Community Engagement and Volunteer Recruitment
- Fort Lauderdale's Future and Relationship-Building Strategies