Customer Service and Office Hours
The Business Tax Office is located at:
100 North Andrews Avenue, 1st Floor
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
You can use our secure Business Tax Search and Online Payments system to pay any fees associated with your Business Tax.
Visit our Vacation Rental page for more information about the vacation rental ordinance, resolution, registration progress and to download required application forms.
Overview and Payment Information
1. What is a Business Tax?
The Business Tax is a tax for the privilege of engaging in or managing any business, profession or occupation within the city limits. You will need to pay a business tax to operate a business based in the City of Fort Lauderdale A business tax is required, pursuant to local and state laws, to operate a business from a commercial or residential location. A business tax receipt is valid from October 1 through September 30 of the following year. Courtesy reminders are mailed, prior to expiration, to remit payment for renewal. A tax receipt is mailed once payment is received. The tax receipt must be posted in a conspicuous place and visible to public inspection.
2. Who needs to pay a Business Tax?
A business needs to pay a business tax, prior to operating a business from a commercial or residential location. Please contact the Business Tax Office for more details.
3. Where can I obtain Business Tax forms?
Forms can be downloaded from the below links or obtained at our office at 100 North Andrews Avenue.
- Business Tax Application Checklist and Information
- Business Tax Application
- Business Tax Application - Application for State-Licensed Professionals
- Supplemental Business Tax Application for Extended Hours
(DO NOT COMPLETE UNLESS YOUR BUSINESS SELLS ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES)
- Apartment Motel Hotel Lodging Social Service Facility Supplemental Application
- Medical Office Doctor's Office Pain Clinic Supplemental Application
- Restaurant Cocktail Lounge Bar Nightclub Supplemental Application
- Retail Wholesale Supplemental Application
- Application for Business Tax Exemption
- Home-Based Business Affidavit
4. If I have a home-based business, do I need to pay the Business Tax?
Yes. The City issues restricted business tax receipts out of the home. To operate a home-based business, a completed Business Tax Application and the Home-Based Business Affidavit is required. A Business Tax Receipt will be issued if the business meets the City requirements.
5. Do I need a permit for street vending?
Yes. It is unlawful to sell, or offer for sale, any food, beverage, service or merchandise on any street, alley, sidewalk, or public park within the City of Fort Lauderdale from any wagon, truck, auto, pushcart, vehicle or by any other means upon the streets, sidewalks, or alleys of the City until the proper permit has been issued by the Business Tax Office.
Street Vendor Forms
- Vendors Information
- Vendor Application
- Street Vendors Affidavit
- Mobile Vendor Map
6. Do I need to pay a City Business Tax if I pay a Broward County Local Business Tax?
Yes. Businesses located within the City limits will need to pay for a City of Fort Lauderdale Business Tax Receipt prior to obtaining a Broward County Local Business Tax Receipt.
7. How can I pay the fees for my Business Tax?
Fees can be paid online with a Visa or MasterCard, by mail, or in our office.
To pay online, first find your business tax ID # using the search function. If there are any outstanding fees, a secure online payment option will be offered. Only payments in full can be accepted via the web site.
8. If I change my business address or sell my business, what do I need to do?
If any of the following events occur, resubmit an updated Business Tax Application:
- The name of the business changed.
- The business address changed.
- The business owner's address changed.
- The owner of the business changed.
- The business is sold.
If you have questions, please e-mail BusinessTax@fortlauderdale.gov or call 954-828-5195.
9. Can you provide me with some information about Sidewalk Cafés?
10. Do you have information on the outdoor sales of Holiday Related Merchandise?
11. Do you have a list of new businesses in the City of Fort Lauderdale?
Yes, the files linked below can be downloaded to your computer:
- New Businesses - February 2017
- New Businesses - January 2017
- New Businesses - December 2016
- New Businesses - November 2016
- New Businesses - October 2016
- New Businesses - September 2016
- New Businesses - August 2016
- New Businesses - July 2016
- New Businesses - June 2016
- New Businesses - May 2016
- New Businesses - April 2016
- New Businesses - March 2016
- New Businesses - February 2016
- New Businesses - January 2016
- New Businesses - All of 2015
- New Businesses - All of 2014
- New Businesses - All of 2013
- New Businesses - All of 2012
- New Businesses - All of 2011
- New Businesses - All of 2010
- New Businesses - All of 2009
- New Businesses - All of 2008
- New Businesses - All of 2007
- New Businesses - All of 2006
12. How do I register a complaint about a company?
To register a complaint about a company or to receive more information about a company prior to doing business with them, there are several places you can contact:
- Broward County Consumer Affairs Division, 115 S Andrews Ave - 954-765-5355
- Broward County Occupational License - 954-765-4697
- Division of Alcohol Beverages and Tobacco - 954-917-1330
- Division of Hotels & Restaurants - 850-487-1395
- Broward County Contractor's Board, 955 S Federal Highway - 954-765-5108
- Better Business Bureau - 561-842-1918
- Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services - 800-435-7352
- Florida Department of Insurance - 800-435-7352
- Florida Comptroller's Office - 800-298-0485
- Lemon Law Program - 800-321-5366
- Department of Highway Safety Motor Vehicles - 850-488-2276
- Florida Public Service Commission (utilities) - 800-342-3553