Before Hurricane Season
- Prepare a Disaster Supply Kit.
- Develop a disaster plan for you and your family.
- Determine if your home is in a flood zone or mandatory evacuation zone.
- Get materials to secure your home’s doors and windows.
- If you live in an evacuation zone, decide in advance where you will go and plan at least two evacuation routes.
- If evacuating, make arrangements in advance for pets.
- If you plan to shelter-in-place, locate a safe room – an interior, first-floor room with the fewest windows and doors. Large closets and bathrooms often work best.
- Pick two places to meet if your family cannot return home.
- Select an out-of-state contact for everyone to call if the family is separated.
- Post emergency telephone numbers and teach children how and when to call 911.
- Check your insurance coverage and update if necessary.
- Make plans to secure your boat.
- Trim trees and branches.
- Sign up for the City’s CodeRED® emergency notifications.