Before a Storm
- Know your sanitation schedule. You can find it on the City’s website at http://gis-it.fortlauderdale.gov/property_info/..
- ALL sanitation services are suspended when a Hurricane Warning is issued.
- Do not put out bulk trash or yard waste when a Hurricane Watch or Warning has been issued, or when a hurricane is approaching the area.
- Properly trim and prune trees, shrubs and other plants each spring.
- Remove all dead trees, branches, tree limbs, palm fronds, or dead coconuts and put out for pickup before hurricane season begins.
- Store carts and bins in a safe place out of high winds or tie them down securely.
- Include large garbage bags with your emergency supply kit for waste disposal.
During a Storm
- ALL Sanitation services are suspended during a storm.
- Put all household waste in garbage bags for disposal and seal tightly to prevent unsanitary conditions.
- Be prepared to store waste in sealed garbage bags for several days.
- Do not forget to separate your recyclable items from your regular garbage.
- Stay tuned to local television and radio stations for updates regarding City of Fort Lauderdale operations.
After a Storm
- Be prepared for adjustments to sanitation schedules after a hurricane.
- Put all household and yard waste, in garbage bags for disposal until your regular service resumes.
- Separate items containing glass such as windows, doors, and mirrors from the main bulk trash pile for safe handling.
- Place all trash in an accessible area away from parked cars, fences, trees, and power lines.
For More Information
For information about supply distributions, debris removal, traffic alerts, road closures, safety advisories and other important updates, call the City of Fort Lauderdale Hurricane Emergency Hotline at 954-828-8888. Messages are recorded. Information will also be available before, during, and after a hurricane via the City of Fort Lauderdale’s radio station at 1610 AM, cable Channel 78 and the City's website.
To report infrastructure damage, water main leaks or breaks, clogged sewers and storm drains, downed trees, or other problems, please call the City’s 24-hour Customer Service Center at 954-828-8000.