Background: On June 20, 2015 Ordinance No C-15-16 an ordinance amending Chapter 11, Code Enforcement, Article II Section 11-3, Jurisdiction of Board and Special Magistrate, of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Fort Lauderdale, Florida became effective. Ordinance C-15-16 delegated the authority to the Special Magistrate to reduce code enforcement fines, penalties and liens. In addition to delegating authority to the special magistrate, Ordinance C-15-16 also established the criteria that the magistrate could use when entering an Order granting or denying the requested relief in whole or in part.
On September 1, 2015, Ordinance C-15-31 an ordinance amending Chapter 11, Code Enforcement, Article II Section 11-3, Jurisdiction of Board and Special Magistrate, of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Fort Lauderdale, Florida established the administrative fees for the Lien Reduction Program.
Lien Reduction Process:
- Complete the Lien Reduction Application and Checklist.
- Verify that the property is in compliance in accordance with the Common Code Violations Diagram.
- Email the completed and signed Lien Reduction Application and Checklist to firstname.lastname@example.org along with all the required documentation (i.e. Power of Attorney, date/time stamped color photos of the property, receipts for improvements, etc.).
- Make a payment of the lien reduction application fee using the Lien Reduction Payment Methods and send an email to email@example.com advising that the payment was made. The application will not be processed if the fee is not paid.
- A Notice of Hearing will be sent via first class mail advising of the hearing date. Lien Reduction Hearings are typically held the first Thursday of the month at approximately 10:30 a.m.
- After the hearing, you will receive a Lien Reduction Order with the order of the special magistrate.
- Please allow 4 weeks for the Release of Lien (if there is a lien) to be processed. If the case is not liened, it will be closed in approximately 10 business days after payment is received.