The 40-year or Older Building Safety Program was created in 2005 and is now in effect throughout Broward County. Modeled after Miami-Dade County’s program which has been in effect since the 1970’s, Broward’s program calls for structural and electrical safety inspection for buildings 40 years old or older and every ten years, thereafter.
Exempt from this program are:
- One- and two-family dwellings
- U.S. government buildings
- State of Florida owned buildings
- Schools under the jurisdiction of the Broward County School Board
- Buildings built on Indian reservations
- All buildings under 3,500 square feet
Both Broward and Dade County have had instances of structural building failures. This program helps minimize the possibilities of future building failure and better prepares us for hurricane winds.
Because of Hurricane Wilma, the worst storm to impact Broward County in 50 years, some cities could not implement the program in 2006. However, all jurisdictions are current with inspections and plan reviews and therefore are ready to implement the program in their respective city.
Please review the following information for:
- Detailed information about the program
- Structural and electrical report forms
- Guidelines for buildings to be inspected by design professionals hired by private building owners
Each municipality has the authority to establish a fee to review the Safety Inspection Reports. There is a $300.00 fee, at the time of submittal, for the City of Fort Lauderdale Building Department to review the reports.
After review of the reports, if the building is determined to be safe you will not be required to have another Building Safety Inspection for ten (10) years. In the event the report proves there are structural or electrical deficiencies, the owner shall have one hundred-eighty (180) days from the date of the report to obtain the required permit(s) and complete the necessary repairs.
If the 40-Year Building Safety Program affects your property, you will receive a certified letter with information about what you need to do.
For more information regarding the 40-Year or Older Building Safety Program, please email George Oliva at email@example.com or Tasha Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 954-828-5082.
Information Resources on the 40-Year Safety Inspection
Frequently Asked Questions
Forms 1-3 are required with each report submitted; Form 4 is optional.
- Building Safety Inspection Report Form -- Electrical
- Building Safety Inspection Report Form -- Structural
- 40-Year Building Safety Cover Sheet
- Incidental Repair Form
An Incidental Repair Form is used when the repairs required do not pose any life safety issues or imminent danger. The report should state, “No repairs are required” and all information needs to be completed on the report. You are required to submit separate Incidental Repair Forms with the Structural Building Safety Inspection Report and the Electrical Building Safety Inspection Report. The Incidental Repair Form is required at submittal of the Building Safety Reports.
Fees to the City
- First-time submittals: $300 (checks should be made payable to the “City of Fort Lauderdale”).
- We also accept VISA, MasterCard and cash.
- Resubmissions/Recheck: $0