Background: On June 20, 2015 Ordinance No C-15-16 an ordinance amending Chapter 11, Code Enforcement, Article II Section 11-3, Jurisdiction of Board and Special Magistrate, of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Fort Lauderdale, Florida became effective. Ordinance C-15-16 delegated the authority to the Special Magistrate to reduce code enforcement fines, penalties and liens. In addition to delegating authority to the special magistrate, Ordinance C-15-16 also established the criteria that the magistrate could use when entering an Order granting or denying the requested relief in whole or in part.
On September 1, 2015, Ordinance C-15-31 an ordinance amending Chapter 11, Code Enforcement, Article II Section 11-3, Jurisdiction of Board and Special Magistrate, of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Fort Lauderdale, Florida established the administrative fees for the Lien Reduction Program.
Lien Reduction Process:
- Complete the Lien Reduction Application and Checklist.
- Verify that the property is in compliance in accordance with the Common Code Violations Diagram. The application will be rejected if the property is not in full compliance.
- Email the completed and signed Lien Reduction Application and Checklist to firstname.lastname@example.org along with all the supporting documentation (i.e. Power of Attorney, date/time stamped color photos of the property, receipts for improvements, etc.).
- Make a payment of the lien reduction application fee using the Lien Reduction Payment Methods, and send an email to email@example.com advising that the payment was made. The application will not be processed if the fee is not paid.
- A Notice of Hearing will be sent via first class mail advising of the hearing date. Lien Reduction Hearings are typically held at City Hall located at 100 N. Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL the second Tuesday of the month at approximately 11:00 a.m. Please bring a valid form of government issued ID to the hearing.
- After the hearing, you will receive a Lien Reduction Order that includes the magistrate's order, and the timeframe to make the payment if a reduction is granted.
- Please allow 4 weeks for the Release of Lien (if there is a lien) to be processed. If the case is not liened, it will be closed in approximately 10 business days after payment is received.